There are many factors that affect the time needed for a divorce. The most important factors are:
- Whether it is a contested divorce
- If you and your spouse agree on all issues, the typical divorce could be complete in as little as 3 months
- The amount of property and if there are children. More property and the presence of children increases the complexity and the amount of issues you and your spouse must agree on. Again, if all issues are uncontested, the divorce can be complete in as little as 3 months.
- A contested divorce can take as long as 18 months. Some bitterly contested divorces take years. You and your spouse have complete control over the length of time it takes, depending on your desire and willingness to put this part of your life behind you.
- Another important factor is where the divorce is filed. Time delays are greater for Broward County and shorter for Palm Beach County. You must file your divorce where either spouse resides or the location of the marital home.